Meal of the Week: Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Leftover Meal Idea: Buffalo Chicken Salad
If you are a fan of buffalo chicken and want to be able to prepare this dish at home in a healthy manner, follow the recipe below and you’ll have your family eating this delicious dish in no time. It takes very few ingredients to make this dish, and once you see the process you’ll be able to tweak the meal to your liking. For the leftover meal idea, what can be better than a great tasting buffalo chicken salad that needs no dressing? You’ll really enjoy this meal for lunch the following day when you’re at work so give it a try and let us know what you think.
– large stove pan
– wooden spoon
– sharp knife
– cutting board
– 5 minutes
– 20 minutes
– 2-3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
– 1 bottle Franks Buffalo Sauce
– 1 small onion
– 2 carrots
– 2 celery sticks
– 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
– 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
– olive oil (cooking oil)
– Hawaiian Rolls (or hamburger buns)
– 1 can mandarin oranges
– 1 can pineapple chunks
– salt, and pepper
For Buffalo Chicken Salads
– Salad greens you prefer
– Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Open up the package of chicken and rinse each piece under cold water in your sink. With a knife, carefully cut the chicken into small thin strips one at a time.
2. Rinse off the celery and carrot sticks and using a sharp knife cut into small pieces no longer than a half inch. You can omit this step if you decide you do not want to add carrots and celery to your buffalo chicken mixture.
3. Peel the onion and again dice until you have 1/4 cup worth.
4. In a pan on medium heat add 3 tablespoons of olive oil (or other cooking oil you have) and the diced onions, carrots and celery. Stir frequently for 3-5 minutes until onions turn a bit transparent.
5. Add the pieces of chicken directly to the pan and allow to cook for a few minutes on each side. While the chicken is browning, use the wooden spoon to cut the pieces even smaller. Total cooking time should be about 12-15 minutes.
6. In a mixing bowl, add the tomato sauce, entire bottle of Frank’s buffalo hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
7. After chicken cooking time is finished carefully pour entire pot into a colander over the sink to help remove any liquid from the mixture. Then put the chicken back into the same pan. After that is done pour the buffalo sauce directly into the chicken and mix well.
8. Turn stove back on to medium low and stir to mix well. Allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes to let sauce soak into the chicken.
Leftover Idea: Buffalo Chicken Salad
Here is a great travel lunch to take with you to work that will be healthy and filling. The only additional items you’ll need is your preferred type of lettuce/greens and Parmesan cheese (along with plastic travel containers). Simply wash and cut the amount of lettuce you want to have for your salad, add a few sprinkles of Parmesan cheese and place into a plastic container if you are planning to enjoy this salad the following day. Then use a separate container for the buffalo chicken ensuring you have a nice amount of sauce to go with that. It helps keep the lettuce crisp if you keep the chicken separate until you are ready to eat.